[Wikipedia-l] Biographies of unimportant people (was: "In memoriam")

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 27 04:02:03 UTC 2002

On Thursday 26 September 2002 06:21 pm, you wrote:
> What is "almost no one", one, two, ten, a hundred people ?
>
> Should we get rid of any articles which get less than X hits a year
> as they're "interesting/useful to almost no one" ?
>
> Imran

Like everything else, each new submission is unique and its relevance to what
we do here has to be weighed individually. So no you can't draw a distinct
line, you can only have general guidelines in this regard. Therefore we can
have the minor players of the human story, but they must be players and not
just some guy who works and McDonald's, watches basketball on the weekends
and is related to some other ordinary guy.

We are building an encyclopedia, not a genealogical database. The above
example is the type of entry that could go into a
http://tribute.wikipedia.org website along with the 9/11 pages.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)