[Wikipedia-l] Deletion

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Tue Sep 24 23:05:13 UTC 2002

Stephen Gilbert wrote:
> I don't think anyone wants every move and deletion
> should be explained, but the undoable nature of our
> current delete function makes people nervous.

Our current deletion function *is 100% undoable*. See the history of
[[Fuck]], which is all there again after being so rudely deleted.
However, it currently is cleanly undoable only by a developer, since the
data must be manually moved from one database table to another.

Any sysop can see the history of a deleted article by going to the
"Query the database" special page and doing this:

   SELECT * from archive where ar_title='Title_of_the_deleted_page'

If you then think it deserves restoration, complain to me, Lee, or
Magnus and we can drop it back in completely intact; or just
copy-and-paste yourself if there's no history (likely for most deleted
pages!)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)