[Wikipedia-l] Children's Wikipedia

Florian Konnertz florian.konnertz at web.de
Mon Sep 23 14:51:57 UTC 2002

Hi all!

I've been glad to read about this idea.

If you know children well you might consider the possibilty that they
had this idea before us ;-)

I assume that there are already a lot of wikis maintained by children,
especially in the context of local areas, school intranets, etc.

As already stated by Fred there is a need for people like teachers who
are already working with children to help them to connect their wikis to
each other.
IMO for children it is not so much important to contribute to *the* one
and only encyclopedia, if they could grasp this idea at all. They prefer
  communicating to each other, and see only need for a steady storage of
information if they are asked by others to explain them something and
want to refer to some articles.

So i guess for the younger ones it should be the loosely combination of
a wiki communication and collaboration space where they can play and
explain things to each other and the older children could do the task of
refractoring the contributed stuff and build a uniform wikipedia from
it. (with the help of us wikipedians and their teachers)

I want to encourage you to keep this idea in mind as it would be nice to
watch the children's wiki grow. Never underestimate their creativity and
the readiness of the older to help the younger ones.

Another point is the phenomenon that children often explain things to
each other in very pictured language and funny where we adults can
profit also as some grasp some sorts of things easier that way. The
corresponding pages could be referenced from wikipedia more or less for
fun to learn how children think about an issue - and this will keep the
generations together.

Concerning the question how the wikipedia and the *wikidia* could be
linked to each other: I cannot imagine a proper solution (namespaces
etc.) yet. I'll think about this problem, i already do some related work
on interwiki solutions as suggested i.e on
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?AllInOneWiki
There's still much work to do and good ideas needed.

I'd appreciate your further comments and ideas about a kid's wiki/
-pedia. I would like to contribute to such a project!

Regards,
Florian

--
Florian Konnertz