[Wikipedia-l] Article def for {{NUMBEROFARTICLES}}

Neil Harris usenet at tonal.clara.co.uk
Thu Sep 19 12:26:52 UTC 2002

koyaanisqatsi at nupedia.com wrote:

 >mav wrote:
 >

 >>Having the default behavior of "Random pages" to be "Random article"
would be
 >>nice to (that is, only pages that are automatically detected as articles
 >>would be displayed).
 >>

 >Not if an article must be 500 bytes--then how do we find stubs?
Frequently I'll find a stub and add a sentence or so to it--that e.g.
Tony Hawk has a popular series of skateboarding video games on various
platforms, etc.

 >I would always like stubs to turn up through "random page."
 >
 >kq
 >

 >[Wikipedia-l]
 >To manage your subscription to this list, please go here:

How about this: we call what the existing count measures "article
entries" or "entries"  and articles that fit the new, more tightly
defined count's rules are then called "substantial articles" or just
"articles".

So, the Main Page would say,

"we already have 31522 substantial articles (out of a total of 43726
article entries)"

We could then have both "Random article" and "Random entry".

Neil