[Wikipedia-l] User watch

Michael R. Irwin mri_icboise at surfbest.net
Wed Sep 11 02:58:29 UTC 2002

Vicki Rosenzweig wrote:

> At 03:08 AM 9/11/02 +0200, Jaap wrote:
> >At 2002-09-10 16:54 -0700, Julie Hofmann Kemp wrote:
> > >As for all the nasty comments about banning Helga -- well, first, this
> > particular playground belongs to Jimbo and BOMIS
> >

> > >Still, this is a little community, and communities generally need some
> > rules and boundaries to keep people from feeling put-upon.  No one has
> > any inalienable rights here, except the right (and perhaps the
> > obligation) to leave if they don't like how things are done.
> >
> >Is your real name perhaps: Eva Perron? Or Eva Braun?
>
> I believe we have an article on [[Godwin's Law]]. Please read it.
>
> >It's my oppinion that any matters of importance like
> >those of politics, science, economics, philosophy
> >should not be dicussed with women.
> >
> >One should never engage in serious discussions
> >with women anyway. They are not genetically
> >equiped for it.
>
> If I said anything equivalent about men, you and lots of other people would be,
> justifiably, up in arms.
>
> If this is really your attitude, you are not mature enough to be working on
> this, or
> any, project with adults of any sex. If it isn't, I want an apology for the
> insult. No,
> it isn't funny. And saying you were only joking will not convince anyone of
> anything
> except that you don't have the guts to admit you said something stupid.

Actually, I got quite a laugh out of it.

Relieved a lot of recent built up tension.  Might be an
American blue collar trait which shares characteristics
of the Netherland's history of commercial imperialism.
OTOH I worked in a plywood plant in Oregon to finance my
education, so I might just be a redneck.

I apologize for finding something humerous
which you do not.

If that offends you, I truly think it is
unfortunate that you find me offensive.

Regards,
Mike Irwin

P.S.  See the newcomer orientation pages history.
I removed a few sexist remarks (admittedly not originated
by you) there aimed at men but, did not request an apology.
Nor did I pick up arms.  Perhaps people vary in how
they approach gender biases and humor.