[Wikipedia-l] confession of a science believing man

Larry Sanger lsanger at nupedia.com
Sat Nov 24 02:32:37 UTC 2001

Hi Kurt,

This is a perfect topic for intlwiki-l--that's why the list was set up.

I think it would be a good idea to translate parts of the [[neutral point
of view]] article, or to write such an article yourself based on that, auf
Deutsch.  There are many philosophical objections to such a policy, but as
far as I can tell, they are all based on misunderstandings or pointless
semantic quibbling about the policy.  In any case, as a pragmatic matter,
it certainly does make it easier for people of radically different
viewpoints to work together.  It also makes the task of writing an
encyclopedia article *considerably* clearer and more focused than it would
be otherwise.

We haven't yet really discussed what sort of general policies we can
expect non-English Wikipedias to follow.  It's not even *completely*
obvious to me that anybody ought to try to make sure that they follow a
nonbias policy; but, of course, I do think they *should* follow such a
policy, self-consciously.  That is, I distinguish between policies I think
the non-English Wikipedias should self-consciously adopt, and policies
that I think we ought, somehow, actually to try to enforce.  The latter is
likely to be a subset of the former.

I obviously haven't caught up with my recent mail to the point where I can
comment on the suggestion that we find some sort of "editors" for the
non-English Wikipedias...that would be relevant here...

Larry