[Wikipedia-l] Personal Pages

Larry Sanger lsanger at nupedia.com
Thu Nov 22 01:51:38 UTC 2001

No one ever answered this, it seems!

I can understand (sympathize with) Jimbo's proposal (expressed in a few
different places)  that we just completely get rid of personal pages, but
I think they do a lot more good than harm.  As Stephen says, they allow
people to get acquainted, to exchange personal messages, to brag, and to
do other stuff that makes Wikipedia an "online community."

As far as I'm concerned, the personal pages will all be moved from the
main article space to a "user:" or "u:" namespace, which will be a good
thing.  It'll make counting articles more accurate and give us a clearer
distinction between the creators and the subjects of the creation.  :-)
Also, for recordkeeping, it's nice to have a record of who has written
what (on the [[Recent Changes]] page) and this necessitates fully
integrated user namespace.

It's a separate question whether we'll stick with the present
Metawikipedia or move all that stuff to a "discussion:" (or whatever)
namespace, with its own [[Recent Changes]] page.  I wouldn't want to move
it if it didn't have its own [[Recent Changes]] page.

But...we don't have to decide any of this right away.  Magnus has to get
through exams ;-), apparently, and we could stand doing some more testing
of his software, before making the switch to the new software.

Larry