[Wikipedia-l] Layout of Wikipedia pages: "Wikipedia" missing

Larry Sanger lsanger at nupedia.com
Fri Nov 16 00:28:14 UTC 2001

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Axel Boldt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just noticed that our regular Wikipedia article pages don't mention
> the word "Wikpedia" anywhere. That's not good. Especially if somebody
> prints out an article, the word Wikipedia needs to appear somewhere.

Yes, absolutely (Jimbo)!

> I suggest that we change "You can edit this page right now!" in the
> second line to "Wikipedia: the free encyclopedia. Contribute right now!"

I would disagree with that particular wording.  The sentiment conveyed
isn't just that someone can contribute (somehow), but that they can edit
this page right now.  ("Edit this page" should be a link to the edit
function--I don't know why it's not...)

> Also, "HomePage" should be changed to "Home page" or preferably "Main
> page".

I agree with that too.  Little things like this can spell the difference
between a pedant joining us and a pedant turning his nose up at us--and,
sure, we need all the pedants we can get!  :-)

> At the bottom, I would write "Search Wikipedia" instead of "Search".

Yes!

> Also, the double link to "Edit texto of this page" is superfluous.

Also agreed!

> Maybe just replace the "You can edit..." with the same slogan from
> above "Wikipedia: the free encyclopedia. Contribute right now!"

Yes!

> Axel

A veritable fount of good advice.

Larry