[Wikipedia-l] Proposal for a "#PARENT" command

Simon Kissane sj_kissane at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 8 06:53:12 UTC 2001

Some have said that the advantage of having subpages
is that every subpage has a link to its parent page.
We could still keep that functionality, with a little
extra work, if we added a "#PARENT" command.

Suppose we have pages [[Afghanistan]] and
[[Afghanistan/History]]. Currently,
[[Afghanistan/History]] has a link back to
[[Afghanistan]] in it. But if we rename
[[Afghanistan/History]] to [[History of Afghanistan]],
the link back disappears.

That is why I propose a "#PARENT" command. The
"#PARENT" command would be placed at the beginning of
[[History of Afghanistan]], as follows:
#PARENT [[Afghanistan]]
Then, a link to [[Afghanistan]] will appear on the
[[History of Afghanistan]] page, just like a link to
[[Afghanistan]] appears on the [[Afghanistan/History]] page.