[Wikipedia-l] Admins (I suspect LMS) permanently deleting things without reason

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Mon Nov 5 17:36:21 UTC 2001

It is possible that in testing the page deletion command, I had
something to do with all of this.  I was looking at some of these
pages, fiddling with some other windows, and editing the URL line.  I
may have made a mistake at some point and in seeking to look at one of
these pages, deleted it by accident.  I am not specifically aware of
doing this, but it is possible.

If it's really important, there should be no problem in re-creating
these pages, and I hope that a mistake of mine didn't cause anyone any
undue convenience.

I have never intentionally deleted anything other than a test page,
and really have no plans to ever do so myself.

> Pages that were deleted include
> [[Reasons for deleting page titles]], [[Wikipedia
> vandalism]], [[Vandalism/Talk]], TheCunctator's
> subpage of [[Wikipedia commentary]] listing pages that
> were deleted (unfortuantely I can't remember what its
> title was), and I don't know what else.

The following are really misnamed, and should at least be moved to:
[[Wikipedia/Reasons for deleting page titles]]
[[Wikipedia/Vandalism]]
[[Wikipedia/Vandalism_Talk]]
or something like this.

Certainly the mixing, on [[Vandalism]] of the general concept of
vandalism and wikipedia-specific vandalism is probably not
appropriate.  A customer looking for information about vandalism --
perhaps statistics on vandalism, the history of vandalism, the story
of the original vandal tribes, etc., is not looking for information
about wikipedia vandalism.

> LMS. He insists he did not delete [[Reasons for
> deleting page titles]], and I'll have to give him the
> benefit of the doubt on that one. However, he said on
> [[Reasons for deleting page titles]] (a statement he
> later deleted from that page) that "I have indeed
> deleted several other pages though" and that he didn't
> know who had deleted that page. Why did he make these
> statements and then retract them? Did he mistakenly
> think he had deleted several other pages, or is he
> just unwilling to admit what he had done?

I think it is not co-operative of you to suggest that he's "unwilling
to admit".  :-)  Let's assume that I did it, by sheer accident, and
let's accept my apology for any pain that I have caused, and let's all
move on.  I will help to restore the pages.

--Jimbo