[Wikipedia-l] Admins (I suspect LMS) permanently deleting things without reason

Tim Chambers tbchambers at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 4 16:07:04 UTC 2001

--- Simon Kissane <sj_kissane at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Persons have recently taken to deleting pages totally
> (i.e. with the admin delete command) without any
> justification or even prior discussion as to why they
> are doing this.

Sigh. Seems that all Wikipedians are equal, but some are more equal
than others after all.

I'm eager to hear how Larry and Jimbo weigh in on this recent
development. It marks a draconian twist in the evolution of the
'pedia. But as for me, I'll ignore this quasi-fartboy behavior and
will keep my eye on our goal to create an encyclopedia.

This is a blow to the harmony of the Wikipedia community, but until
the conflict gets resolves, there is a simple response that keeps all
sides of the disagreement engaged -- at least until the anonymous
perpetrator speaks up: the authors of controversial topics
("controversial" defined by the type of pages being deleted) should
keep a copy of the source of their pages on their personal computers.
They could also be mirrored at another site so they can be shared.  I
started a list at
http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OtherUseModWikis. Pick one.

Jimbo, I'd especially appreciate hearing from you whether Bomis is
willing to host a meta-wiki where page content can diverge from the
Wikipedia objective.