[WikiEN-l] Encyclopedia of Earth appears to be now online...

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Mon Sep 25 17:04:32 UTC 2006

David Gerard wrote:
> On 24/09/06, Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
>

>> While this is all true, the GFDL *is* fairly far along the process of
>> being rewritten, and the FSF has seemed willing to consult with
>> Wikipedia about its needs during the process (I believe Jimbo has been
>> queried about it).  Whether the language will be less of a confusing
>> mish-mash I won't speculate, but the single biggest problem---that you
>> have to print the entire damn license with every copy you
>> distribute---seems likely to be solved.
>>

> This is the first I'd heard that there was actual progress. Excellent!
>
> Are they going to release it for public comment as they did the
> planned GPL rewrite?

I must confess I didn't have any actual information on progress; I just
sort of assumed that after two years of the process and occasional
reports from Jimbo that somebody had asked him something, that it was
fairly far along.  An alternative would be that it's been stalled for
two years. :)

I just emailed licensing at gnu.org about it, though, and got a reply that
"the first discussion draft should be out very, very soon".  Sounds
promising.

-Mark