[WikiEN-l] Encyclopedia of Earth appears to be now online...

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 18:59:16 UTC 2006

On 24/09/06, Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:

> While this is all true, the GFDL *is* fairly far along the process of
> being rewritten, and the FSF has seemed willing to consult with
> Wikipedia about its needs during the process (I believe Jimbo has been
> queried about it).  Whether the language will be less of a confusing
> mish-mash I won't speculate, but the single biggest problem---that you
> have to print the entire damn license with every copy you
> distribute---seems likely to be solved.

This is the first I'd heard that there was actual progress. Excellent!

Are they going to release it for public comment as they did the
planned GPL rewrite?

> So I'd personally lean towards waiting to see if the next GFDL is
> something we can live with, before trying to relicense the whole
> encyclopedia---a huge and messy undertaking.

Yes. The reason the question has even come up is that relicensing was
actually looking less painful than continuing with the GFDL and
arguably not actually keeping to it.

- d.