[WikiEN-l] GNAA Deleted!

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Thu Nov 30 23:49:59 UTC 2006

On 11/30/06, Tony Jacobs <gtjacobs at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >From: "The Cunctator" <cunctator at gmail.com>
> >To: "English Wikipedia" <wikien-l at wikipedia.org>
> >Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] GNAA Deleted!
> >Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 11:32:21 -0500
> >
> >I for one think it's pathetic that Wikipedia is giving up on the mission of
> >being a complete encyclopedia because there exist specialty sites on
> >particular areas of knowledge.
>
> I disagree. Wikipedia can't be all things to all people, and I think it's
> silly to try.  Wikipedia should consider itself one of a community of wikis,
> specifically, the encyclopedic one, with academic standards.  Why not allow
> for there to be multiple sources of information, and let the different ones
> specialize in different things and get good at what they do?

Well, the biggest problem with that is that the other sources
invariably don't hold themselves to as high a standard as Wikipedia.
Is the content free?  Is it written from a neutral point of view?  Is
it verifiable?  Is the project controlled by a non-profit charity?
Are there ads plastered all over the place?

Wikipedia can't be all things to all people, but it should strive to
be a complete encyclopedia.

Anthony