[WikiEN-l] "Reliable sources" guideline being treated as absolute policy

Guy Chapman aka JzG guy.chapman at spamcop.net
Thu Nov 30 16:09:16 UTC 2006

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 19:04:27 -0700, Bryan Derksen
<bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:

>> Indeed.  Absence of any claim to validity is what is at issue, and the
>> absence of any sources is one of the diagnostic factors.  very few
>> sourced articles are flagged for A7.

>But even then it's still not not a remotely _reliable_ diagnostic
>factor. For example, if there were an article whose text consisted of:
>"Marty McFoo was a German actor who won several national awards for his
>portrayal of Julius Caesar on TV."
>This article would be completely unreferenced, but nevertheless it
>asserts the subject's notability just fine.

This is arse about face though. Marty McFoo is an actor who has played
in some things[reliable source] which have been popular[reliable
source] is unlikely to be tagged, whereas with no reliable sources it
might well be (we have any number of deletion candidates which make
vague unsubstantiated assertions, after all).

Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG