[WikiEN-l] Systemic bias wrt gender

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sat Nov 25 16:51:13 UTC 2006

Puppy wrote
> Would our "welcoming attitude" to women and "being on the lookout for
> bad behavior and mitigating its effects" include chastising men who make
> overtly sexist and insulting remarks? Alphax made such remarks, and thus
> far two people have spoken up - Mindspillage, a female; and Guettarda.

I'll speak up, though I said something indirect earlier. I have no idea what Alphax was thinking he was doing, but I hope in future he'll do it in another forum, or, better, not at all. (If people don't pile on, it can be because 'don't feed the trolls' is sound advice.)

>There is no longer any question
> of whether there is gender bias on WP: it has been demonstrated here.

Don't assume this is representative of Wikipedia.
> Sean actually attacked Guettarda for calling bigotry what it is

I heartily disapproved of that, (a) because it was wrong, and (b) because it prolonged the discussion of inappropriate comments. By the way, all these posts are very public.

Charles