[WikiEN-l] Google Earth screenshots

Earle Martin wikipedia at downlode.org
Fri Nov 24 12:10:03 UTC 2006

On 24/11/06, Stephen Bain <stephen.bain at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/24/06, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> > Much of Google Earth imagery *is* public domain.  Google has not added
> > the necessary creativity to change this.
> >
> > That said, it's much safer to just use NASA Worldwind.
>
> I didn't say that Google has copyright over imagery in Google Earth. I
> said that the imagery is copyrighted.

IANAL, of course, but I believe that the work that Google has done in
stitching together all the various image data sets to produce a
derivative work (Google Earth) based on them would count as creative
and original, so a screenshot of such a stitched area would infringe
their copyright.

--
Earle Martin
            http://downlode.org/