[WikiEN-l] Google Earth screenshots

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 11:31:51 UTC 2006

On 11/24/06, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> On 11/23/06, Stephen Bain <stephen.bain at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 11/23/06, Bogdan Giusca <liste at dapyx.com> wrote:
> > > Note that some of the images claim "PD".
> >
> > In that case the uploaders need a stern talking to. It's hard to
> > imagine that people don't realise that imagery from Google Earth is
> > copyrighted when it's plastered all over the bottom of the screen, and
> > appears in the screenshots.
> >
> Just because something claims to be copyrighted doesn't mean it is.
>
> Much of Google Earth imagery *is* public domain.  Google has not added
> the necessary creativity to change this.
>
> That said, it's much safer to just use NASA Worldwind.

I didn't say that Google has copyright over imagery in Google Earth. I
said that the imagery is copyrighted.

If you look near the bottom of the screen you'll see the names of the
copyright holder(s), the imaging companies that Google has sourced the
satellite imagery from, DigitalGlobe for example.

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain at gmail.com