[WikiEN-l] Systemic bias wrt gender

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 00:47:59 UTC 2006

> Interesting in that one of the nastier bits of systemic bias to fix is
> when you're pissing off people and you don't realise it.
>
> (c.f. issues on foundation-l re: open content licences and possible
> social unworkability in France.)
>
> It was also interesting in that it was said as if she was quoting
> someone else rather than composing the sentence as it was being said.
> So yes, there might be a critique available.

I'd be very interested to see this. The only "self-describing"
feminist criticism of Wikipedia I've run across was about a year ago
at most, maybe a bit less - if memory serves, it was comparing [[Man]]
and [[Woman]] and not being entirely impressed, mainly on the grounds
that the latter had a tasteful section of "slang terms for women".

(Looking at it as a followup just now... huh. Those two articles could
probably do with a bit of deliberate convergence...)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk