[WikiEN-l] "Fair use" images of living people

Sarah slimvirgin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 05:58:38 UTC 2006

> Can you forward me the OTRS ticket numbers for permissions engagements
> where you've run into problems so I can look at them in detail and see
> if I can get some folks to help improve the process?

I don't follow what this has to do with OTRS.

My question was: who are the potential beneficiaries of the
free-licence images that increasingly we insist on having? We're
insisting on free licences even in situations where we know the
copyright holder doesn't mind, and where there's therefore no legal
problem with claiming fair use. Who is our audience, in other words;
what is our market?  As I said, responsible publishers who want to use
our material won't trust what we say regarding free licenses: they'll
make their own licensing enquiries. And irresponsible publishers won't
care. So who are we doing it for?

Sarah