[WikiEN-l] "Fair use" images of living people

Matthew Brown morven at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 05:57:43 UTC 2006

> We do have nice collaboratively written boilerplate messages ...

'Nice', I feel, only compared to the positively evil nature of average
legalese.  They may have improved since I last looked at them, but
they're still necessarily rather hefty blobs of text.

Not sure if we can do anything about that and still cover everything
we need to cover, however.

I generally ask for CC-By-SA, myself (figuring it's easier to explain
than GFDL), point them towards the creative commons website, and
mention that they can't be noncommercial-only or education-only or
no-modifications because the license has to be compatible with
Wikipedia's license - I leave out the philosophical goals of such,
just 'it has to be this way'.

-Matt