[WikiEN-l] Kill CSD A7!

Steve Block steve.block at myrealbox.com
Mon Nov 13 19:48:14 UTC 2006

geni wrote:
> On 11/12/06, Dan Collins <en.wp.st47 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> pfft. we need a7, that's how we get rid of the myspace teens and the
>> wanna-be-a-big-businesses. Do you have an example of an article that was
>> "unfairly" deleted? If it's used improperly, remove the tag. Either way, the
>> admin won't delete it if it isn't really nn.
>>

> Oh they might. Problem is that we have no other deletion method that
> could cope if we removed A7

Speedy A1

Very short articles providing little or no context (e.g., "He is a funny
man that has created Factory and the Hacienda. And, by the way, his wife
is great."). Limited content is not in itself a reason to delete if
there is enough context for the article to qualify as a valid stub.

Now I'd argue that any article which doesn't explain why someone is
significant fails to provide context.  So writing "Blah are a garage
band who will release their first album next year." Provides no context,
and even if it is hugely puffed out to detail how they met and where
they all went to school, it still fails to provide context.  Now an
article that provides context is "Blah are a garage band who will
release their first album next year. The album will be produced by Steve
Albini."  There you've got a smidge of why they might be significant.
Steve Albini has a Wikipedia article, so it may be debated that having
an album produced by him may be significant enough.

Now this stuff is what A7 is also supposed to stop, but in the last few
days, for example, I removed a speedy on a stub which noted the actress
appears in Hollyoaks, a popular soap.  It was speedied because
apparently that doesn't assert notability.  Now my rule of thumb is, if
the article claims something that hasn't or couldn't have happened to an
average person, namely me, and checks out, then I won't delete it under
A7.  Because I could have been in a band, I could have been an actor,
but I haven't appeared in a poular soap, and I haven't had an album
produced by Steve Albini.

A7 seems far too wide in it's subjectivity.  When it was proposed it
contained contextualising text, something along the lines of asserting
that you are a baker or a butcher may be true, but it doesn't assert any
importance.  The article should assert why you are an important baker or
butcher.  This text was removed within the first few days of adoption as
unnecessary, but I think it needs to be added back in to better
contextualise what is supposed to be deleted here.