[WikiEN-l] Sourcing "popular culture" items

Steve Block steve.block at myrealbox.com
Fri Nov 10 16:02:19 UTC 2006

Jimmy Wales wrote:
> Phil Sandifer wrote:
>> On Nov 9, 2006, at 12:09 PM, Jimmy Wales wrote:
>>> I did not say that.  The point is, it is NOT verifiable.  It is
>>> likely a
>>> copyvio, and the amount of information known about this woman from
>>> reliable third party sources is about as close to zero as you can get.
>>>
>> 1) Are third party sources required here? The classic definition of
>> NOR said that primary sources could be used so long as they were not
>> used for "novel" claims. Surely the basics of this article are thus
>> verifiable via the primary source of the show: her status as a
>> contestant, when she lost, and a good chunk of her bio were all no
>> doubt covered.
>
> Perhaps, although caution is warranted here.  The bios of people on such
> shows are PR puffery at its worst.  Only the most basic facts can be
> considered true, I think.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayfabe is a good article about the
> phenomena with respect to wrestling, where the intermingling of reality
> and storyline is well known.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irene_McGee is a friend of mine, and her
> story should set off alarm bells for anyone writing about "reality
> television".  The mixing of fact and fiction is substantial in these
> shows, and generally speaking, the websites of such shows should be
> regarded in much the same way as websites of fictional shows.  The
> people appearing on the shows are characters in a storyline.

Jimmy, I might be misreading you here, so I've kept all the above for
context rather than snipping and missing a facet.  Apologies.

Anyway, what I think you are saying, to me, goes against the grain of
the verifiability policy.  We aren't supposed to sift the truth from the
puff, are we?  We simply present information as it is presented in the
source.  For example, in the instance of Irene McGee, my understanding
is that you can't edit it to remove inaccuracies which have been
sourced.   You have to balance it with sources which show the other
side.  I appreciate there's a grey area with balancing, you don't cite
one source which lists a DOB as 1926 if 100 lists it as 1976.

So I'm not sure how we go about with articles such as these.  Like you,
I guess I'd lean towards listing for deletion.  It pains me that too
many times people paint the afd process as a bad thing.  I think it can
be an important process that should generate a good discussion about an
article and whether it should exist.  Perhaps we need to refocus debates
and base them on the merits of the article, rather than the strict
application of a formula.  It annoys me to see people argue over the
meaning of [[WP:WEB]] #3 footnote b, even though I wrote it, because in
helping to draft the page I was always pushing the idea that the page
itself wasn't a tool for deletion but a guide for inclusion.

People should not be looking at notability guidance and deleting on the
basis, they should be for new editors who are considering creating an
article.  And a deletion debate shouldn't focus on the specific clause
of a notability guidance, it should centre on the merits of the article.
  People shouldn't be stating that it fails such and such a clause, they
should be saying, look, I'm not happy that the sources this article
cites are strong enough to build an article to the required standard...
blah blah blah.  I mean, me and Phil lock horns now and again but at
least Phil debates the point and fights the corner, and I hope he would
concede the same of me.  What we need is the ability to write guidance
which tells people that discussion is the best solution, and to keep
discussing until an agreeable solution is found.