[WikiEN-l] Bad And Wrong Policy/Procedure/Guideline Hitlist

Steve Block steve.block at myrealbox.com
Tue Nov 7 01:21:23 UTC 2006

Speedy deletion criterion A7, which states:
"Unremarkable people, groups, companies and web content. An article
about a real person, group of people, band, club, company, or web
content that does not assert the importance or significance of its
subject. If the assertion is controversial or there has been a previous
AfD, the article should be nominated for AfD instead. Note: Avoid the
word "vanity" in deletion summaries since it may be insulting."

I've just removed the tag from articles about a Hollyoaks actress, a
Compuserve Vice President and a band broadcast on the BBC.  Someone beat
me to the line in removing a tag from an article on a bloke who had
written number one singles. I'm staggered at what some people think is
not an assertion of importance or significance.  The criterion has to
go.  It was proposed as "An article about a real person that does not
assert that person's importance or significance - people such as college
professors or actors may be individually important in society; people
such as students and bakers are not, or at least not for the reason of
being a student or baker. If the assertion is disputed or controversial,
it should be taken to VFD instead."  which at least gave some examples,
but they quickly fell out.  Most of us who opposed this felt it would
prove to be ambiguous, but the majority had their head.  If our CSD
truly are supposed to be limited, this has to be bashed with stick.
Repeatedly.  Ah well, rant over.

Steve block