[WikiEN-l] Bad And Wrong Policy/Procedure/Guideline Hitlist

Robth robth1 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 01:35:07 UTC 2006

> On 05/11/06, Guy Chapman aka JzG <guy.chapman at spamcop.net> wrote:
> It may be worth pointing out that Phil is an academic expert in the
> area in question, so his opinion is actually worth more on the
> particular subject.

Academic experts are uniquely qualified to judge the relative notability of
subjects within their area of expertise.  They are also, in general, probably
not the people we would want to have judging the overall notability of their
entire area of expertise.  (I do not think I have ever known an academic
whose estimation of his or her own field's importance was not substantially
higher than the outside world's estimation of the same.)  We should ask
carefully which is occurring in any "expert judgement" scenario.

--
Robth
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Robth)