[WikiEN-l] First fair use criterium

gwern branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 20:04:49 UTC 2006

On 12/14/06, Timwi <timwi at gmx.net> wrote:
> I've just had an idea.
>
> One of the "problems" cited for "replaceable" fair-use images is that
> they give the (false) impression that an image is no longer needed for
> the relevant article, right?
>
> Well, maybe it would make sense to mark nonfree images in the article
> somehow. A red border, perhaps.
>
> I know the following suggestion requires extra coding, but I imagine it
> would be possible to have a tag on the image description page (which, in
> the case of the English Wikipedia, would be transcluded through some of
> the copyright-status templates), which would cause the image thumbnails
> in articles to have an extra CSS class specifier. Then extra styling can
> be added for that CSS class specifier, e.g. red border or background. Or
> it can be neutral by default but still enable CSS wizards to add
> something to their own user CSS.
>
> Discuss. :)
>
> Timwi

One crude way to do this would be to put each
replaceable/in-danger-of-deletion image into a tiny infobox or frame,
which has a colored border. You could probably do that via bot
already, since you would just be adding stuff around the existing
correct image link syntax, and not trying to modify Mediawiki or the
link.

--Gwern