[WikiEN-l] Admins who pretend to quit (was Re: MONGO and the ArbComm)

Parker Peters onmywayoutster at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 21:48:39 UTC 2006

On 12/12/06, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/12/06, Parker Peters <onmywayoutster at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 12/12/06, Luna <lunasantin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Ehh. If someone's *constantly* leaving and coming back and making all
> > > sorts
> > > of drama over this sort of thing, I might be more inclined to exlore
> > that
> > > option. But in terms of an indefinite fits-all-situations policy, I'm
> > not
> > > too fond of the idea. I figure good contributors are entitled to a
> > certain
> > > amount of drama and temper tantrum, now and then.
> > >
> > > Well, maybe "entitled" is a poor word choice. But if somebody solves
> > more
> > > problems than they cause, in the long run, I'm personally willing to
> > > tolerate breakdowns and depressions.
> > >
> > > Just my ramblings on the matter. Dissect at will,
> > > -Luna
> > >

> > MONGO: I lost count.
> > Slimvirgin: at least 3 instances, one of which was "if you don't ban
> this
> > user I'm leaving."
> > FloNight: at least 2 instances.
> >
> > I'm sure I could hunt down others, those are just off the top of my
> head.
> >

> Having WP policy be that we punish people for what they say in
> discussions,
> other than threats and personal attacks and the like, is a bad thing.  No,
> let me restate that more emphatically - it's a horrible, terrible idea.

We've already stretched the definition of "personal attack" so far that I'm
opposed to that being a valid reason to "punish" someone.

I agree with Luna; while not always necessarily desirable, it's a common and
> fairly normal human response to extreme frustration to let off
> steam.  It's
> not hurting us to let people do it.  It may be irritating you, but that's
> not by itself a reason to take official action over it.

They should be desysopped for violating [[WP:POINT]] after the second or
third occasion anyways, because it IS highly disruptive.

Parker