[WikiEN-l] Admins who pretend to quit (was Re: MONGO and the ArbComm)

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 21:45:04 UTC 2006

On 12/12/06, Parker Peters <onmywayoutster at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/12/06, Luna <lunasantin at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Ehh. If someone's *constantly* leaving and coming back and making all
> > sorts
> > of drama over this sort of thing, I might be more inclined to exlore
> that
> > option. But in terms of an indefinite fits-all-situations policy, I'm
> not
> > too fond of the idea. I figure good contributors are entitled to a
> certain
> > amount of drama and temper tantrum, now and then.
> >
> > Well, maybe "entitled" is a poor word choice. But if somebody solves
> more
> > problems than they cause, in the long run, I'm personally willing to
> > tolerate breakdowns and depressions.
> >
> > Just my ramblings on the matter. Dissect at will,
> > -Luna
> >

> MONGO: I lost count.
> Slimvirgin: at least 3 instances, one of which was "if you don't ban this
> user I'm leaving."
> FloNight: at least 2 instances.
>
> I'm sure I could hunt down others, those are just off the top of my head.

Having WP policy be that we punish people for what they say in discussions,
other than threats and personal attacks and the like, is a bad thing.  No,
let me restate that more emphatically - it's a horrible, terrible idea.

I agree with Luna; while not always necessarily desirable, it's a common and
fairly normal human response to extreme frustration to let off steam.  It's
not hurting us to let people do it.  It may be irritating you, but that's
not by itself a reason to take official action over it.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com