[WikiEN-l] Crap vfd nominations

BJörn Lindqvist bjourne at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 17:34:54 UTC 2005

> I love those Rambot stubs. I have found them personally useful, I love
> those Rambot stubs. I have found them personally useful, when
> researching cities I am likely to end up living in. The ability to
> compare income and population and racial demographics, getting a real
> "feel" for an area... Thats exactly the kind of thing a '''reader'''
> finds useful, but an '''editor''' (who will prob never go there)
> wouldn't. The entire concept of "cruft" is idiosyncratic encyclopedia
> editor shoptalk, and has nothing to do w the people who read articles,
> and why.

Amen. The "cruft" argument just makes Wikipedia's coverage more biased
than it already is. A traffic circle that thousands of people travel
through everyday is cruft, while some strange insect that only < 100
persons know about is notable. It's elitism and it is building an
encyclopedia that noone wants to read. I find traffic circles
interesting. I always thought that traffic circles were superior to
traffic lights because they allow a larger throughput of traffic than
an ordinary crossing can. But it seems like those traffic circles in
the articles were eliminated. Why were they eliminated? Because of
commercial development forced it because the area had a too high land
value? Crossings are generally more space efficient than circles. Many
traffic circles have some kind of artwork or other decoration on the
island in the middle? Did any of these traffic circles have it?

Oh, and there is also a crossing whos name contain the word "circle"
where I live. I would very much like to know if it is because there
used to be a traffic circle there. But you won't let me find that info
in Wikipedia becase you think it is cruft.

--
mvh Björn