[WikiEN-l] The AfD saga

Nicholas Turnbull nicholas.turnbull at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 14:26:28 UTC 2005

There definitely seems to be this ongoing argument over the way AfD is
handled, or whether or not it is being correct or accurate in its
judgements for articles to be deleted. This seems to get dredged up
once every, say, three months (along with arguments over RfA
standards) and as yet we haven't really done anything very firm about
it, except change the name of what seems to me to be a universally
hated procedure.

I think we should try to think of either how to fix AfD if it is
really as bad as we think, or if it is totally beyond repair replace
it with something better. Kim Bruning and I were discussing "pure
wiki" forms of deletion some time ago, which involved page blanking,
and Kim authored a series of experimental deletion procedures (which I
tried out for a few articles) at [[Wikipedia:Experimental deletion]].
Personally I am not so sure this is a great deal better, but it's a
start. If anyone can come up with a better process, please do add it
to the page.

To those taking issue with AfD deletions - forgive me for being an
arsehole, but {{sofixit}}. I think that rather than arguing over the
way that AfD operates, we should work towards fixing or replacing it,
using these cases where users have taken exception to AfDs as feedback
for the current process. Otherwise, we'll just be having this same
argument in three months time or so, in a sort of "Groundhog Day"
scenario. :-) And we all know how unproductive arguments can be on
Wikipedia.

Best regards,

-- Nick, [[User:NicholasTurnbull]]