[WikiEN-l] "Fair use" abuse on user pages

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Thu Sep 22 23:27:44 UTC 2005

Kelly Martin wrote:

>Several of us are now speedily deleting nonfree images that have no
>article references on the grounds that an image that is not being used
>logically cannot be being used as fair use.

I would appreciate it if you would take the trouble to see whether
an image was uploaded in anticipation of article use. For instance,
I often upload postage stamp scans in batches, and it may be a period
of weeks before I write all the articles that will use the uploaded
scans. You're not doing anybody a service by deleting these beforehand,
nor are you incentivizing me to create the articles more quickly or
to write first and upload later - more likely I'll just stop writing.

Stan