[WikiEN-l] Funky tricks on de

Alphax alphasigmax at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 13:52:46 UTC 2005

Oskar Sigvardsson wrote:
> On 9/22/05, Worldtraveller <wikipedia at world-traveller.org> wrote:
>
>>On the German Wikipedia, I've noticed they've got a nifty trick with
>>templates whereby you can include a button to hide an infobox, in the same
>>way as you can hide a contents box.  See an example down at the bottom of
>>this page:
>>
>>http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thematische_Navigation_Deutschsprachige_L%C3%A4nder
>>
>>I don't know of any templates to do the same thing on en:, and when I
>>tried to replicate the code on the German templates it didn't work.  Does
>>anyone know how one might get something similar working on en:?
>>

> That is nifty! It seems to be a relatively straigtforward change to
> monobook.js, and then use a version of the
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorlage:Navigationsleiste_ohne_Bild (that
> might lead to some heavy transclusion though).

The code is located at the end of
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Monobook.js - look for the
section titled "BEGIN Dynamic Navigation Bars" :)

> PS. I'm crap at these things really, so please someone else comment :P

It would be trivial to copy the code across to en:, the same as the
Featured Article Star code was copied around... :)

--
Alphax                      |   /"\
Encrypted Email Preferred   |   \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign