[WikiEN-l] Re: Potential Wikipedian growing pains

Michael Turley michael.turley at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 18:06:30 UTC 2005

On 9/21/05, Carbonite <carbonite.wp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/21/05, Michael Turley <michael.turley at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Then my point is even more important; this isn't some obscure Usenet
> > group we're communicating on.  This is the official mailing list of
> > the "flagship project" of a well respected worldwide community with
> > scholarly goals.  More courtesy for other editors is warranted.
>

> Before you decide that more courtesy for Zephram is warranted, please be
> aware that this is the user who blanked his talk page with the edit summary,
> "This place is a joke. It's too bad, because it had possibilities before all
> you fucking Jews came along. The funny thing is, I never had anything
> against you before this. Now I see what people mean. " In general, I
> completely agree with your comment. For Zephram, It's well past the time for
> assuming good faith or extending courtesy.
>
> Carbonite

This is EXACTLY what I meant by "Admins and arbitrators should rise
above such behavior, even when it tests their patience."

Based on his message, we may want to make sure to review all of his
edits, but that's no excuse to be discourteous to anyone.  There is no
"well past time" for courtesy.  Even as we show someone the exit, we
can still be courteous and polite.  Even as we lock the door behind
them, we can still be courteous and polite.  Doing so improves
Wikipedia and its image worldwide.

What possible good can come from being discourteous to an editor,
especially one who is not blocked or banned?

--
Michael Turley
User:Unfocused