[WikiEN-l] Potential Wikipedian growing pains

Daniel P. B. Smith dpbsmith at verizon.net
Tue Sep 20 23:03:45 UTC 2005

> From: Geoff Burling <llywrch at agora.rdrop.com>

>  is there a point in Wikipedia's size where it's current growth
> will taper off or stop? I don't mean to repeat the old chestnut that
> knowledge is somehow finite: put in different words, is there a
> certain
> point where contributors will find it far easier to work on existing
> articles than to contribute new ones?

Oddly enough, I wonder about the exact opposite. I fear that people
enjoy creating new articles far more than they enjoy editing existing
articles, and that people look desperately for topics that do not
exist yet so that they can be the first to create them. The
Wikipedian equivalent of the Slashdot FIRST POST!!!!

This means that over time a greater proportion of newly created
articles will reflect an artificial attempt to find a topic that
hasn't been "taken," and a smaller proportion will be reflect a
genuine attempt to serve potential readers.

I do not think its growth will stop. The problem is, will the quality
of the articles hold up? There's no obvious reason why it shouldn't,
and no obvious reason why it should.

One reason why it _might_ not hold up is that when Wikipedia was less
famous, contributing to it required a greater interest in the project
and a greater commitment to the project's ideals. As it becomes more
and more familiar, it is possible that we will see an increasing
proportion of new "articles" that are really paragraph-long newbie
tests.

To tell the truth, I think many of the "articles" that land on AfD
are best not regarded as articles at all, but as elaborate newbie
tests OR as badly executed article requests. I'm thinking of substubs
that convey no information at all except the fact that someone either
a) genuinely wanted an article on that topic, or b) simply wanted to
experience the pleasure of creating an article.

I've been casting "votes" recently in AfD that say "delete, and enter
a request for the article." So far, nobody but me seems to think this
is a good idea.

Daniel P. B. Smith, dpbsmith at verizon.net
"Elinor Goulding Smith's Great Big Messy Book" is now back in print!
Sample chapter at http://world.std.com/~dpbsmith/messy.html
Buy it at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1403314063/