[WikiEN-l] Fwd: Wikiquote e-mail

Phroziac phroziac at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 02:18:01 UTC 2005

Blocks are different from the type of "ban" Kelly is talking about. I
do not agree with the usage of the terms, but by "ban", she means ban
the user. "Block"s are against an account, IP address, or IP address
range. He has been indefinitely blocked, and the wacky usernames he
registers are being indefinitely blocked. But, a single sysop cannot
boldly ban a user from the project, there must be an arbcom ruling,
decree by jimbo wales, or community consensus to ban a user.

The terms are obnoxiously similar, consider proposing new ones.
Personally I would prefer if we had the distinction, but did not make
it by using a different (but very very similar) term. "I banned him",
or "I banned XXXX account(s)/ip(s)" maybe.