[WikiEN-l] Images on user pages

Michael Turley michael.turley at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 19:02:00 UTC 2005

On 9/15/05, Daniel Mayer <maveric149 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Fastfission <fastfission at gmail.com> wrote:

> > They can be reused accordingly and often are.
>
> Where has such use been intentional? I've only seen cases where a reuser also
> publishes user pages just because they were included along with articles.

I don't have proof, but I suspect they're intentionally reused in
articles.  Because people see them on Wikipedia, they think that the
images must be OK for use in Wikipedia articles.  I strongly suspect
this because I almost did so myself.  Had I not decided to
double-check the license, I would have.  Many others won't
double-check the license before referencing images in the article
space.

Also, consider that many articles are developed in user subpages.
This is another reason why we should be consistent with all licenses
all throughout Wikipedia.

--
Michael Turley
User:Unfocused