[WikiEN-l] Images on user pages

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 15 17:55:04 UTC 2005

--- Fastfission <fastfission at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's completely reasonable, but it's not necessarily a smart idea nor
> one our licensing scheme accomodates for. As it is, even User pages
> are included in our GFDL licensing

Now I think I understand where you are coming from. Correct me if I’m wrong,
but you think that having NC and special use images displayed on a page whose
text is licensed under the GNU FDL to be legally incompatible or even illegal.
This is not the case and is something that we hashed out many months ago and
confirmed with RMS. So while having these images for practical purposes makes
the whole document less reusable, the presence of the images is technically and
legally allowed under the aggregation clause of the GNU FDL (see 8.7 at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Text_of_the_GNU_Free_Documentation_License
).

Now by policy we want to make our encyclopedia as redistributable as possible
so we do not allow NC and special use images in the encyclopedia. That is
something I completely agree with and very strongly support. But the reason we
do that is *not* due to legal incompatibility with the FDL. So parts of
Wikipedia that are Wikipedia-specific need not follow the same rule and would
still be perfectly legal.

> They can be reused accordingly and often are.

Where has such use been intentional? I’ve only seen cases where a reuser also
publishes user pages just because they were included along with articles.

-- mav