[WikiEN-l] Why changing the deletion process is a bad idea

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Thu Sep 15 01:52:57 UTC 2005

G'day Sam,
<snip />
> There appear to be two
> main criticisms of AfD:
>
> 1. Unreliability.  This appears to be your point.
> 2. Bad and unhealthy atmosphere.
>
> I would appreciate (from anyone) evidence for either of these.
> Despite all the comments about AfD's foibles and failings, I
> personally have not seen them in action.

Actually, Snowspinner provided an example of '1' to start the thread
(well, one of the threads): /Elf-Only Inn/.  As a webcomics fan myself
(although I don't like or read /Elf-Only Inn/ itself), I can certainly
see his point[0].

Recently, there were a couple of rather ignorant postings to AfD
(might've been VfD at the time, actually) about Australian issues.  They
were roundly defeated, though, so I don't know if that counts.

As for '2', well, Phroziac posted what he felt was evidence of a "bad
and unhealthy atmosphere" early on, as well.

[0] And I'm hanging out for the time when Tycho and Gabe get their own
     entries on en-WP.  That would obviously be cruft, but I'd like to
     hear those who want minor characters from movies to have pages to
     explain *why* major characters from /Penny Arcade/ don't belong.

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"