[WikiEN-l] Why changing the deletion process is a bad idea

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Sep 13 17:47:25 UTC 2005

Alphax wrote:

>Abigail Brady wrote:

>>>Oh please no. Name anything that could harm wikipedia that doean't
>>>get delt with as a speedy or a copyvio.
>>>

>I'm going to play Devil's Advocate and call [[WP:NOR]] - but that's not
>a speedy criteria, because an article is no longer original research as
>soon as references are added.
>
>The proposal of "speedy or nothing" seems to be an attempt to move
>towards writing a bot that will detecting CSDs and act appropriately. It
>will never work. I don't know about the rest of you, but I think I'm
>quite capable of judging for myself what I do and don't want to be on
>Wikipedia. I don't need a bot or a set of rules saying "anything can
>stay unless it's X, Y, or Z" to decide for me.

That makes you an exception with whom I can sympathise.  I find that
both here and in many other circumstances, people have a great deal of
difficulty coping with an environment that has flexible rules.  A
flexible rule environment requires requires that people take time to
reflect and consider.  This is inconsistent with the compulsion to deal
with huge amounts of material quickly.  For the compulsive a single word
is enough of an explanation, and if he can manage with a cryptic
abbreviation so much the better.  Some of us just need time to reflect.

Ec