[WikiEN-l] Why changing the deletion process is a bad idea

MacGyverMagic/Mgm macgyvermagic at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 12:22:51 UTC 2005

1)So maybe we should allow a merges during AFD listing.

2)Pure wiki deletion is a nice idea, but if people start blanking you
can't see the difference between page blankers and people who are
actually interested in a discussion about the article's validity.

3) Decentralizing discussion will allow a lot of discussion to go
unnoticed by people interested in Wikipedia as a whole rather than the
article. Centralizing will give visibility to the most people and
therefore reflect much better the views of the community.

4) We should have more centralized discussion on groups of articles to
get a concensus. I've seen a lot of inclusionists, but barely any that
think of the WP:MUSIC guidelines as a bad idea.

5) Moving (again) or changing the deletion process won't fix what's
really wrong with it.

It's people's attitudes that need fixing rather than the process we
use to delete pages.

For example:
*People vote delete on sockpuppet supported articles without as much
as a word on the actual article itself.
*People vote keep or delete merely because an article is a school or a
road without looking at the content.
*People continuously criticize VFD/AFD but VFU rarely ever gets any
requests. To me that says there's barely any stuff that actually needs
to be undeleted.

--Mgm