[WikiEN-l] Re: Cruft

Sam Korn smoddy at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 15:31:28 UTC 2005

On 9/11/05, MacGyverMagic/Mgm <macgyvermagic at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/11/05, Alphax <alphasigmax at gmail.com> wrote:
> > MacGyverMagic/Mgm wrote:
> > > No, I was talking about the public mailbox on the end of the street
> > > which everyone in the neighbourhood uses. It's very much accessible
> > > and verifiable.
> > >

> > That would be Original Research.
> >
> OR? How so. I could say a lot of things about the box anyone going
> there could verify. No original research needed. Aren't articles about
> bus stops basicly the same?

What you are proposing is primary source information.  Wikipedia is
not a primary source.  It is basically a tertiary (and to a small
extent, secondary) source.  This is what no original research means:
don't do research that no-one has done before.  I'd say someone
_doing_ research on a bus stop makes it fairly noteworthy...

Sam