[WikiEN-l] Afd nominations

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Sat Oct 1 06:39:14 UTC 2005

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Michael Turley wrote:

> On 9/30/05, SPUI <drspui at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Geoff Burling wrote:
> > > Just a thought, SPUI: can you think of a traffic circle that you could
> > > write an article worthy of Featured Article status? I ask this in a
> > > constructive way, because a very irrefutable argument to anyone who
> > > writes on AfD to the effect "This is only an X, & all X is non-notable.
> > > Delete" is "Well, Y is an X, & it is a *FEATURED ARTICLE*!!!"[*]
> >
> > If I had better access to historical records, I might be able to do that
> > for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonnelle_Circle . It's a very busy
> > intersection, located on the Route 1 Extension, considered by many to be
> > the first "super highway" in the United States.
>
> Honestly, my memory sucks right now.  I'm not trying to be flippant:
> Isn't there a famous traffic circle or two worthy of featured article
> status in London, England?  Perhaps one in Paris, France or Rome,
> Italy as well?

One would assume that traffic circles did not just appear one morning,
but were conscious changes to intersections, created with intent &
hopefully some theory. If this assumption is true, then a search through
the records of traffic engineering (or whatever this discipline is
called) ought to uncover countless examples of their evolution as new
concepts were thought out, implemented, & improved upon.

That being said, I'm curious to know just how strong *is* Wikipedia in
the area of traffic engineering. Or is this one of countless many areas
that we lack comprehensive coverage on -- yet this doesn't quite fit
as part of the Wikiproject to remedy systemic bias?

Geoff