[WikiEN-l] 4/1 FA: Nintendo Entertainment System :(

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 31 12:59:33 UTC 2005

--- Viajero <viajero at quilombo.nl> wrote:
> So now his eminent worthiness Mark a.k.a. Raul has decreed that
> [[Nintendo Entertainment System]] will be the Featured Article tomorrow,
> despite the overwhelming support for UTPH at
> [[Wikipedia_talk:Featured_article_candidates#European_toilet_paper_holder]].

ETPH is not an article  - let alone featured. That "article" can and should be
on the alternate Main Page at [[Wikipedia:April 1, 2005]]. A huge banner on the
real Main Page could point to the alternate Main Page.

>   It seems to me a spectacularly lame and unimaginative choice. If
> running a genuinely ersatz text was too daring, at least we could have
> run an oddball article that looked like a hoax, but I guess even that
> was too much for the timid souls at the steering wheel.

Sadly [[exploding whale]] was already on the Main Page. As was Emperor Norton
of the United States. Either Main Page summary could have been written with a
bit more wit to work. I wouldn't mind if we recycled one or the other for just
this day though.

> I am disappointed by the process by which this decision was reached and
>   I especially disappointed by the outcome, but I guess it reflects the
> fact that Wikipedia EN is overpopulated by geeky teenagers who probably
> prefer Red Bull to red wine and Game Boys to sex.

I for one prefer sex above all those other things you mentioned. :)

-- mav