[WikiEN-l] Test case: policing content

Fred Bauder fredbaud at ctelco.net
Sat Mar 26 12:18:52 UTC 2005

I don't think the problem is well phrased as repeated deletions, although
that can happen. The more frequent problem is repeated insertions of
material which is poorly sourced, represents a minority position (acceptable
but not to the point it dominates the article) or amounts to advocacy or
propaganda for a point of view. While in certain areas editors can and do
gang up, generally when most of the other editors are deleting something,
citing Wikipedia policy, giving a variety of reasons why the material is
unacceptable, that is a clue that maybe something is wrong.

The notion of a clue is central. While it is frequent that Wikipedia editors
who are up to something themselves give out a variety of spurious reasons as
cover, it is important to consider the reasons people are giving for what
they are doing. For example, I have a distinct proclivity to make stuff up
as I go along, making an original definition for [[truth]] or [[reality]]
etc. At some point I began taking "no original research" seriously. Not at
first, but eventually I read the policy and took a good look at what I was
doing. I still sin, but I could be said to "have a clue" at this point.

There is a certain Tao involved here. If you are fighting hard, you are
probably fighting for something not worth fighting for in a Wikipedia
context, usually a point of view.

Fred