[WikiEN-l] Re: Putting Wikipedia on a CD or DVD

Christopher Mahan chris_mahan at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 25 19:23:13 UTC 2005

--- Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Now, right now, MOST of the propositions we hear about are from
> commercial organisations, who want to make *cash* on the CD rom.
> Right ?
>
> Nothing wrong with this...
>
> But that means readers must pay for the cd rom...
>
> Are those who need more information... those who can pay for the cd
> rom ?
> Or those who can not ?

That's all fine. When people pay $10 for the 2005 English Wikipedia
cd, they are going to make a few copies, and maybe send a copy to
their friend in the third world country.

It's like AOL CDs. There are everywhere. little value, true, but
everywhere nevertheless.

I say if a company wants to press 100 million CDs per year and sell
them, many of these will end up in the hands of people who can't
afford to buy them.

Besides, they would make great presents.

Chris Mahan
818.943.1850 cell
chris_mahan at yahoo.com
chris.mahan at gmail.com