[WikiEN-l] Re: Images on Answers.com and copyright conditions

Christiaan Briggs christiaan at last-straw.net
Fri Mar 25 17:16:26 UTC 2005

I think I have an idea of where this problem stems from; when you click
on an image in Wikipedia which was originally uploaded to Wikimedia
Commons the description (including who the author is) is not included
on the Wikipedia page for that image (only a link its page on Wikimedia
Commons is included). I would say Answers.com is simply pulling down
the content from Wikipedia (and ignoring the link to the Commons page).

At the moment Wikipedia image pages only include a link to the
corresponding Wikimedia Commons page. I'm not sure what the technical
issues are here but it seems to me when a user clicks on an image in
Wikipedia the description of the image should be on that page. A couple
of ways of achieving this might be to link directly to the image on
Wikimedia Commons or to somehow import the text from Wikimedia Commons
onto the Wikipedia page. I'm sure there are probably problems
associated with these, otherwise I imagine we'd be doing it already.

Christiaan