Wikipedia on handhelds in schools (was Re: [WikiEN-l] Putting Wikipedia on a CD or DVD)

Matt R matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 23 19:48:16 UTC 2005

-- "Poor, Edmund W" <Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com> wrote:
> How far has anyone looked into delivering copies of Wikipedia
> (in any medium) to third-world schools, as in Africa or
> Indonesia? (To show my level of ignorance: Are there even any
> public libraries in Africa?)

Another medium could be handheld computers. This is used by an organisation
called EduVision to distribute content in schools in Kenya:

Quotes:
"It is a pilot project run by EduVision, which is looking at ways to use low
cost computer systems to get up-to-date information to students who are
currently stuck with ancient textbooks."

"...uses a combination of satellite radio and handheld computers called
E-slates. The E-slates connect via a wireless connection to a base station in
the school. This in turn is connected to a satellite radio receiver. The data
is transmitted alongside audio signals."

"The system is cheaper than installing and maintaining an internet connection
and conventional computer network...We plan to put a solar panel at the school
with the base station, have the E-slates charge during the day when the
children are in school, then they can take them home at night and continue
working."

Matt R
-- [[User:Matt Crypto]]