[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia map of British Columbia

Richard Holton richholton at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 05:11:52 UTC 2005

Mr. ONeil,

I am an editor on Wikipedia, though I have no official standing at the
Wikimedia Foundation. However, I noticed your request regarding the
use of the map of British Columbia that came from your website.

I have taken the step of tagging that image as a possible copyright
violation.  You can see the resulting message on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:BCMap-doton-Victoria.png

This issue is also now listed at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Copyright_problems
Please feel free to add comments on that page.

Regarding your question about our policy on use of material from other
sites. Wikipedia is committed to respecting copyrights. Please see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Copyrights

As a citizen and resident of the United States, I know that many
people here assume that all government documents are public domain, as
that is generally true of the US Federal government. I don't know
about this particular case, but it could be that this image was placed
on Wikipedia based on that assumption.

I also do not know if the same sort of rules apply to the government
of Canada and/or British Columbia.

Either way, the source of the image should be properly attributed,
even if the image is in the public domain.

If you have any further questions, you can either contact me at
richholton at gmail.com, or respond to the English Wikipedia mailing list
at wikien-l at wikipedia.org.

Sincerely,

Richard J. Holton