I have unblocked Blair P. Houghton. Re: [WikiEN-l] Unreasonableblock of user

JAY JG jayjg at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 16 17:14:26 UTC 2005

>From: "Blair P. Houghton" <blair at houghton.net>
>
>Consensus isn't something you obtain, demand, husband, or cite.  It's
>something that happens.

More typically, it is something you build based on discussion or debate.
Talk: pages are a great place for that.

>Consensus follows action.  To believe otherwise is to obviate the prime
>directive of Wikipedia, which is to '''be bold'''.

I hadn't heard "Be bold" referred to as Wikipedia's "prime directive"
before; I'm not sure everyone here would agree.  In any event, while I don't
know the details of this particular case, it amazes me how often people
attempting to make major, usually contentious, and often highly POV
re-writes to articles cite "Be bold", yet fail to note that the majority of
that policy is devoted to when you *should not* "Be bold".  In particular,
much of the policy clearly points out that on disputed issues and
controversial subjects one should, instead, get consensus on Talk: pages
first.

>The cooperative counterparts in a community of bold people are those who
>accept the boldness of those who are right, regardless of the prior
>consensus.

I believe we are straying into "argument from silence" logical fallacy
territory here.

>This concept of cooperation imbues every organization that relies on the
>truth.

Cooperation is something that comes from both sides; it cannot be
unilaterally imposed by "Bold" individuals.

Jay.