I have unblocked Blair P. Houghton. Re: [WikiEN-l] Unreasonableblock of user Blair P. Houghton by adminCryptoDerk

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 16 16:47:54 UTC 2005

Tony Sidaway wrote

> I dispute any suggestion that protection of a page is in any way *less*
> drastic than blocking a user.  If a page is protected, *nobody* can edit
> it.  If one or two over-enthusiastic revert warriors are blocked for up to
> a day, only their potential edits are lost--and since they're likely to be
> holding up editing by their reverts, their loss is often a very good
> thing.

That omits the edits to other pages blocked users cannot make.

Page protection is unpopular; temp-banning 3RR violaters seems to have a
good consensus behind it.  This displays a rational attitude to the content
of the page in question, I think.  Edit warring usually stops the
development of a page right in its tracks, often for the sake of a part of
the whole that is not that significant.

Charles